Friday, January 31, 2014

First fibers.

 I've been hard at work trying to practice my spinning skills. Which I haven't used in a year.

Theres nothing like the cravings to spin as a deprived spinner with a new free wheel and NO FIBER.

Everything was in storage and had to wait a few days to find a ride over.

I was able to find a fluff in with my yarn. It was mostly felted and almost completely unusable. But I worked at it and this is what I got.

I spun it without the tension on. (still had to put that together and who has time for that)
Then plied it --->
Despite all it came out quite well.

After a few days I went to storage and got the rest of my fiber and got to work.
Once again spun without the tension on.

Then plied that, and made fingerless gloves. ^_^
Uneven, and a bit lumpy, but wonderful.

Part of the challenge is finding ways of taking care of what needs to be done without the tools I lost in the move.

 Behold! Setting the twist!

Fiber Macgyver time! Using bottles of body wash as weights.

It ended up though I needed more weight.
So added a towel and Mr. Timer Frog.
Which made once of my nieces day when she found him swinging on my yarn.

And here is how my last bit of spinning turned out. :)

The black came out a little uneven but the red/pink came out really nice.

The kinks in the wheel have been worked out and works like a dream. :)
Now if the yarn is messed up I know its spinner oops and not the wheel. So I need to just keep practicing.

Stay crafty everyone!


Found a free spinning wheel!

Some of you who witness my ramblings on facebook already know this, but my sister found something amazing.
I came home to find her waiting for me. She had spotted a free spinning wheel on Craigslist and wondered if I would like it. I started flapping my arms around freaking out. (guess thats my way of saying yes...)

She said that the guy giving it away said that it had a few issues, and he didn't know if it worked or not.

I replied that regardless I wanted it. (keeping fingers crossed though)

And somehow we got it! BEHOLD!

It did have some issues. But I was able to "Fiber Macgyver" things together.
I've made a drive cord out of some cotton yarn.
And was able to find bolts and washers for everything else.

I decided to not sand down where someones puppy chewed on it. Oh well. ^_^ just part of the charm. haha.

It took about a week of testing and then testing again but its finished!

And it seems to do a really fine job.

And the only times that the yarn isn't working out isn't because of the wheel. It's the spinner... (getting there but yeah my yarn is still a bit uneven)

Keep crafty folks!